Flash cards math random dot

[Math flashcards] FAQs answered

by mievee @ mummyshomeschool.com on July 24, 2014

Since launching The Ultimate Right Brain Math Program* 2 days ago, I’ve received many enquiries. Here are some of the answers for sharing…

Q: What is the difference between the Shichida 63-Day Math Program and the Math Dot printables?

A: The Math Random Dots printable consists of dots and numerals 0 to 100, which can be flashed in different ways as suggested in the lesson plan ideas.

The Shichida 63-Day Math Program is a way to flash specific quantities or equations on each day. In the pre-packed set, each day’s cards are placed in a separate cardholder.

63-Day Math Programme inside

It covers quantity, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, multitudinous equations (longer equations with brackets), moving systematically from dots to numerals.

After completing one cycle (with minimal number of days rest in between), rest for 1 month, do dot worksheet / practice in daily life.

Repeat cycle, rest

Repeat cycle, rest

Repeat cycle, rest.

It is suggested to complete 3-4 cycles in a year.

This supposedly helps the child in mental calculation using dot imaging / intuition.

The list of equations and instructions are copyrighted, so the easiest and most reliable way for non-Shichida students to access it is through the original flash cards package.

I used to go through the cycles using the list of equations and red dot cards.

Downsides: need to prepare the cards every night, for next day’s lesson. Ended up missing days.
Also, it’s common for children to get bored of red dot cards within the cycle or at subsequent cycles.

With the pre-packed cards, it’s very easy to be on schedule.
Vee, Jae and Baby El love the variety picture dots.
Also, if I miss a day, it’s easy to go through 2 days’ set if the child likes it.

Q: If the Shichida 63-Day Math Program already covers quantity as well as 4 operations (addition, etc..), does it mean we don’t have to flash the printable dots? It’d be overlapping?

A: In Shichida class, the sinsei flashes Random Dots, Variety / Picture Dots, Organised / Pattern Dots, and some Addition for toddler class.

At home, parents are supposed to go through the 63-Day Math Program, Addition +1 to +10 and Multiplication.

So in my day’s flash cards set, it may be like:

– 63-Day Program Day 10

– other topics

– Random Dots 21-30

– other topic

– Organised / Pattern Dots 21-30

– other topic

– Addition or Multiplication

The 63-Day Math Program covers quantity from 1-50. The main objective is to help the child achieve lightning speed calculation through intuition.

(The older version was the 65-Day Math Program that covers quantity from 1-100. It was later updated to the current 63-Day program to keep the quantity within 50.)

The Printable Random Dot and Pattern Dot Flash Cards cover 0-100.

Owlissimo random red dot flash cards

Owlissimo pattern dot flash cards

The objective is to help child see various ways of arranging a quantity of dots. It’s important to flash until 100, which is an important number. Once the child understands 100 (both arranged or random), she can easily move to 101-200, then 1000’s.

If you try the lesson plan ideas, they cover beyond 4 operations. For instance,  odd/even number, squares, etc.

The Addition Flash Cards help in recitation and visualisation of the addition facts.

Owlissimo addition flash cards

Similarly, the Multiplication Flash Cards help in recitation and visualisation of the times table.

Owlissimo multiplication flash cards

The 63-Day Math Program and Printable Math Flash Cards complement each other, that’s why I cover all at home. I believe this complete system helped Vee in his mental calculation through intuition or working out in his head, depending on his choice at that moment.

The strong foundation in understanding numerical relationship allows him to grasp new math concepts easily.

Jae, at 2 years 8 months, recognises small quantity of objects by sight, is trying to count until 100 (both from rote and one-to-one correspondence), and does simple addition.

Q: I’ve seen another 63-Day Math Program set at a lower price. Can I use that?

I bought 1 set of the original Shichida 63-Day Math Program and 1 of “the other set” (completely different box packaging) to compare.

These are what I noted:

1. The other set: Some consecutive cards consists of random dots in the same pattern, the only difference is adding 1 more dot.

This is a very simple way of creating the flash cards, saving time and cost.

However, for the child looking at the cards, he’d see largely the same pattern, and note the +1 relationship. He may not capture the entire quantity.

Ideally, every card should have a slightly different random pattern. Both the original Shichida 63-Day Math Program and my Random Dot cards offer this.

2. The quality of cards differ: The original Shichida 63-Day set has thick and smooth cards. The other set has cards which are less smooth.

3. The instruction manuals are almost identical, except that “the other set” has paraphrased about every sentence. As a role model to my children, this is a practice I cannot support.

After considering the above 3 points, I decided to help other mums get the original Shichida 63-Day Math Program instead of “the other set”.

Have fun with right brain math!

>>> CLICK HERE: The Ultimate Right Brain Math Program*

Disclosure: Mummy’s Homeschool™ is an information site that receives compensation if readers make purchases from affiliate links (these are marked with an *). If we receive compensation from the companies whose products we review, this would be disclosed. These compensation help to maintain and grow Mummy’s Homeschool™. We test each product thoroughly and give ratings according to our experience with it. We are independently owned and the opinions expressed here are our own.

{ 23 comments… read them below or add one }

Joyce Kam July 24, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Hi,

My cousin in UK is interested in Shichida 63 day math program. I am living in Canada but I am going to visit her in a month. I am wondering if I am able to order to buy this program in Canada. I am living in Toronto.

Thanks,

Joyce

mievee @ mummyshomeschool.com August 15, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Hi Joyce, yes… we’ve found a cost-efficient way to ship internationally, including Canada and UK.

Puky August 16, 2014 at 8:50 am

Hi, I am in Thailand. The Shichida. 63 day is sell at the school here but at the very expensive price. I think of buying from you and ask a friend to carry it back to me. I try to understand the method before I buy. The pack is only 63 days (arranged). But I saw anothe blog posting shichida 65 days and have a repeat cycle so total is over 260 days. In the 66 days I must arrange the dots myself right? Cause it would not be in 63 first days. Or 65 is the old version I should not follow to create confusion

mievee @ mummyshomeschool.com August 20, 2014 at 1:01 am

Hi Puky, 65-day is the old program; 63-day is the updated version. Repetition is using the same set of cards, so there’s no need to re-arrange if baby is happy with the sequence.

Full translated in English would be provided and shipping to Thailand at a low cost is possible. Would email you the details. :)

CM Lim October 18, 2014 at 4:41 pm

I live in Seoul, Korea. Could you also ship to Seoul, too? and because I’m a working mom, I really need the whole thing to be explained to me, telling me what to do everyday… I read a book about Shichida education and I really want to provide it to my daughter but it’s difficult for me to figure out what and how to do it. Could you give me some help on this?

mievee @ mummyshomeschool.com October 24, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Hi CM, have sent you an email. Yes, I agree that it’s a bit challenging to know how to do home practice via reading alone.

jacqueline November 3, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Hi i am interested on the 63 math programme, may i know how much the price and deliver charge to singapore? Thanks

mievee @ mummyshomeschool.com November 5, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Hi Jacqueline, the details are on this page. Will email you as well. :)

SF February 7, 2015 at 11:02 pm

Hi mummy,

For equation like 1 +1=2, I need to say ” one plus one equal to two” then when I only need to flash the answer card (2 dots) when I say “two”?

Pls advise.

mievee @ mummyshomeschool.com February 14, 2015 at 11:49 pm

Yes, SF. :)

Geraldine May 2, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Can I enquire about the maths programme? The package contains of pri tables – meaning I’ve to print the material and paste them on blank A5 cards or how do I go about printing the materials and flashing to my toddler. Also she is turning 20months old soon, will it be ideal to start her on this program? Thanks

mievee @ mummyshomeschool.com May 6, 2015 at 10:18 pm

Hi Geraldine, please refer to email reply. Cheer, MieVee

Sophia August 13, 2015 at 9:52 am

Hi, is the 63 days dot programme package still available? I am in Singapore and interested to purchase the package =)

mievee @ mummyshomeschool.com August 22, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Yes, available in Singapore, Sophia. :)

Mrs Tan August 19, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Hi, may I know why didn’t the website prompt us to input our mailing address after we clicked the “join” button when we want to purchase the 63 day dot program cards?

mievee @ mummyshomeschool.com August 22, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Hi Mrs Tan, after payment, you’d receive an auto-email requesting for your mailing details. Currently, I’m using a membership site software, to allow you to access the printables instantly upon purchase. Hope this clarifies. Please let me know if you need further assistance. Have a great day!

Yean August 25, 2015 at 8:41 am

Hi MieVee,
My children (3years and 4.5years old) just started right brain training recently and just started random dot card (0-50) to them. Is it appropriate to introduce the 63 days dot programme now to them now? Or should wait for them to get familiar with the random and pattern dot (0-100) before start the program? Also, how long waiting/ shipping time to get the 63 dot packagr after placing order. Tks.

mievee @ mummyshomeschool.com August 28, 2015 at 2:34 am

Hi Yean, since you’re starting random dot and pattern dot, you may start 63-day program concurrently or quite soon. The first few days covers random dots (1 to 50).

If you’ve just flashed 0-50 and are starting on the 63-day program, then go straight to Addition. Skip the random dots for this cycle, to prevent boredom. After 1 cycle, rest for 1 month, then start with Day 1 again.

Within a day, I may flash these: 63-day, other topics, random dots, other topics, pattern dots, other topics, variety dots.
I usually keep random / pattern / variety dots to the same number pattern.

There’s ready stock in Singapore, first-paid-first-delivered. Usually reaches you within a few days to a week, via courier.

Cheers, MieVee

Yean August 28, 2015 at 9:37 am

Hi MieVee,
Tks for your reply. Is the 63 days already included the random(1-100)and pattern dots(1-100)? Then we dont have to print the printable copy? Is there any differences between them? Is the 63 days imported from japan and included english manual? Tks alot for your guidance.

Jenevy September 9, 2015 at 11:44 am

Hi,

I’m interested in purchasing your ultimate right brain math program

Just to clarify, understand that shichida curriculum also provides for random, organised, variety dots flash cards. One of your prints led provide for random, but not the other 2 types (organised and variety)

Would that be sufficient? Thanks

mievee @ mummyshomeschool.com October 5, 2015 at 6:09 am

Hi Jenevy, thank you for your interest. The free printables for the math program includes random red dots and pattern / organised dots. The hard copy cards contain a big variety of picture / variety dots to help sustain the child’s interest. I’d say these would be rather sufficient. For more info, please click here.

Carmen February 6, 2017 at 4:51 am

Hi,

I would like to purchase the math program for my almost 2 year old boy. But I would love to know your opinion on teaching math with the Japanese abacus- soroban. Do you think it will be confusing to learn both way?

Thank you.

mievee @ mummyshomeschool.com May 17, 2017 at 3:08 pm

Hi Carmen, for almost 2-year old, I would still use 1 bead / picture to quantity of 1 representation.
Abacus-soroban uses 1 top bead to represent 5. Many children cannot get this at a young age, too abstract.
1-to-1 is more concrete.